I have always loved this soup on a cold winters day but even better now that I grow my own Swiss Chard in my garden. This meal for 6 can be made for under $6 and cheaper yet if you grow your own Swiss Chard.
Swiss Chard Winter Soup
(Feeds a family of six in about 45 minutes.)
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion ( chopped)
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups of chopped swiss chard
- 2 can (15 oz) of great Northern beans ( drained and rinsed)
* Don’t forget the CORNBREAD!
In a Dutch oven cook up the ground turkey with a dash of olive oil, some spicy season mix, onion and garlic. I use a few dashes of my hot pepper sauce and some chili peppers chopped. Once the meat is brown add the broth, chard and beans.
Simmer this soup for about 20 minutes and serve right away.
My family loves this dish with some oven fresh corn bread!
Would love to hear if you gave this recipe a try or if you have any other recipes to use with swiss chard. ENJOY!